Buta Kaku-ni

By Lionina - 2:54 PM

I love pork belly in all sorts of permutations and the recipe Nagasaki-Style Braised Pork from Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art, by Shizuo Tsuji is pretty ace. The pork belly is braised for 6 hours in okara, rice or bran water. Then the meat is rinsed and simmered again to remove excess porkiness (there's a Chinese word for this which I don't know how to translate, perhaps smelly/bloody tasting). The next day, the pork is brought to simmer in a simple sauce. Separately seasoned and blanched vegetables are added right before serving. 

 
Pork belly from Nijiya, cut into 1 inch pieces. I actually have difficulty sometimes finding thick enough pork belly slabs with the right ratio of meat and fat. Where do they all go?

Browned pork pieces go into a pot with crushed ginger.  The ginger should be very finely chopped or they will be hindrance later.

I did not cook the veg separately.  Instead I just tossed in green onions and snow peas about 5 minutes before the dish was finished. Most restaurants seem to omit them, but doing it the Tsuji way will result in a nicer presentation and clearer flavor. Next time I think I will cut the pieces into 2" chunks and double the recipe!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments