Sourdough Redux

By Lionina - 9:19 AM










Unhappy with the results of my first sourdough bread, I left the loosely covered container on the counter for 12 hours and fed the starter twice in that time. The resulting proof was higher than the first dough. I made this starter just a tiny tad less watery.










I turned the temp to 425 degrees instead of 450 degrees, put the dutch oven in about 30 min into the preheating time instead of 1 hour, and when the dough went in, I slid an upside down cookie sheet onto the lowest rack. At 25 minutes the bread was pale and just beginning to crisp on the top crust points. I took the lid off, baked it for 5 minutes then inverted the loaf to the rack and baked it upside down for another 5.

I don't believe the finished product was any worse for wear at having to stand on it's head. The comparison shows the difference! The bread was evenly brown all over with a much higher rise and nicer fluffier crumb than before - moist but not gummy - with a great crispy crust. I'm a lot happier with the results but I'm still going play around with the settings some more.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments