sew

By Lionina - 8:07 PM

Result of my first assignment for Intermediate Clothing Construction... cleaning out my closet, determining what to make. From top left, clockwise...

1. Dry cleaning, alteration projects.

2. Worn out, stained, scratchy, thick and bulky, shiny and slippery, baggy, fussy and busy, overly frilly, sexy or cute. "Raving" clothes. Grungy beach chic.

3. Sentimental. Saved only those items that have unique details, favorite fits, fabrics, etc.

4. Tanks, tees, boxers, pilfered medical scrubs, and an unmatched variety of pajamas. My typical uniform.

5. Clothes to keep. Comfortable. Easy to layer. Work on multiple occasions, outfits, coats and shoes. Most of these staples seem to have a clean lined, simple, lean silhouette with a bit of layered volume and some quirky architectural details built into the cut of the garment. A touch of gritty urban casualness and a standing collar always seem to work for me. My denim is all trouser style, but I think that's partly because I can never find or alter any slim jeans to fit me.

This color palette integrates what I already have in my closet with some future outfit ideas involving chunky organic accessories, a leather doctor's bag, and my ubiquitous plastic framed library glasses.
Since people seem surprised by my age, I'm going to work on more "mature" pieces for my fall semester projects and keep the sporty, street gear to a miminum. I have a beautiful red silk with black weft that I bought in Thailand and I have just enough fabric to make this pleated tank top from Vogue Wardrobe.

I also want to make this tuck sleeve McCall's jacket and matching pants in a textured wool - perhaps a dark gray shot with white and lined in something bright. I'm toying with the idea of making the collar a little stiffer and lining the underside of the lapel with a bright color too.

The suit set could be worn with the above tank (cinched with a belt) or perhaps over a slim, long wristed cotton turtleneck.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments