Lush

By Lionina - 12:04 PM

On a tip, I've been using Lush Celestial Facial Moisturizer (everywhere) for the skin conditions that have been plaguing me for years.  The vanilla, almond oil, cocoa butter combo apparently makes me smell a bit like cookies, but the scent is rather gentle.  The cream goes on a little bit greasy but is light and absorbed within 5 minutes or so. I don't feel like I'm sticking to my sheets or encased in Crisco as I do when using Cereve or other heavy creams recommended by the derm. The effect seems to linger, more so than using something like Vaseline, which makes the dryness even worse once it smears off. So far, after about a month, I've had no adverse allergic reactions and my skin feels softer.   I still have still have some redness and hives, but the scaling and itchiness have really minimized, cutting down on doctor visits and chronic use of antihistamines and harmful steroid creams, pills, and shots.


I've avoided Lush for a long time, simply because the products seemed to have a Bath and Bodyworks type of artificial candy appeal.  And while some products are heavy on the bubblegum overload, the Dreamwash Shower Smoothie (calamine powder, aloe vera gel, rose and chamomile, tea tree and lavender), has a kind of herbal scent which I am used to from using Body Time* products, has a pleasing fluffy texture, and doesn't dry out my eczema prone skin.  The Dreamwash is so gentle I have no reservations about using it on my face (avoiding the eyes.  Feels good after being in the fridge).  I also bought the Aqua Marina Facial Cleanser, a solid product with some similarities to the Dreamwash, that I whim bought for the Nori roll packaging.  It was my bad for missing the added perfume on the ingredient list online, but fortunately I don't have any reaction to the Aqua Marina.  I just don't bond with the floral aroma.

Honestly, I don't see why I couldn't mix up my own batch of faux Lush at home after sourcing some ingredients online and throwing in some fruit, but the price ($20 for a 1.5 oz container of face moisturizer) for the convenience isn't that bad in comparison to "premium" or department store products, and is only a little above drugstore brands. Plus, they recycle their pots, have eco friendly values, and nix animal testing. The strength of their rabid (and rather younger), youTube competent fanbase is a little Koo Koo Cola, but I like their unguents so far, and the little sample of Honey I Washed the Kids Soap stands up to those pretty cakes I've seen at the health food store.  Thank goodness, because the moisturizer/dry skin dilemma was really driving me nuts. 

 *Body Time replaced the Paraben and preservatives in their products with natural ingredients some time ago.  Ironically, I could no longer use my favorite serum and had topical and asthmatic reactions to a product I  had been happy with for 10 years.  However, I would highly recommend their stuff for someone who isn't as sensitive as I am.  Two other skincare lines I wouldn't recommend to someone with my finicky skin (and I mean truly finicky) are Malin+Goetz and Paula's Choice.  Both moisturizers really irritated my existing skin conditions and caused a severe reaction of painful peeling, redness, and itchy puffy dermatitis on my face.   Really I'm using euphemisms to describe how uncomfortable and embarrassing it was.  When you have severe dermal and respiratory allergies people treat you like you have the plague. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments