Farm Fresh

By Lionina - 11:08 PM

One day I would love to have a nice plot of land where I can grow vegetables, live lightly, and raise a small herd of llamas. Unfeasible as that dream is at the moment, I have my local CSA to tide me over. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture and basically means I pay some money to become a "shareholder" in a local farm and I get a portion of the crops in return. I'm not a true fanatic of the 100 mile diet (fermented tofu comes mostly from afar) but going to my local CSA for most of my vegetables means I contribute where I can.
For a year and a half, we've been using Two Small Farms, a collective of two growers, High Ground Organics and Marquita Farm in Watsonville, about 70 miles from San Mateo. While some CSA's deliver to a location of your choice and are really more of a grocery delivery service, I chose Two Small Farms because they grow organically and because they have a pickup location only two blocks away from me (closer then my nearest Farmer's market). That means a short walk once a week and less gasoline consumption overall. In a typical box we might get heirloom tomatoes and eggplant, leeks, unusual items like Agretti and sometimes herbs or fruit that are a just about right for two people. We do eat a lot more seasonal greens now though and I always have vegetable stock on hand. If you don't like this weeks squash, put it in the trading box and pick up something else. For those that can't commit to a subscription, Two Small Farms has "guerilla" pickups and provides vegetables to some of the finer restaurants all over the Bay Area.

A good source for finding a CSA is
Local Harvest. Type in your zip code and state and a comprehensive list comes up. Look at the various websites for the nearest pickup sites, the subscription season length and the type of farming they do. Also check the types of produce they offer for variety and availability. Some farms even offer fresh eggs (goose, duck) or even flowers as part of their box, so make sure to do some research. Be prepared for a handsome collection of critters and dirt, and have fun figuring out how to use all your vegetables!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments